Notifications
Clear all

Genesis: Literal creation or not?  

RSS

MJosie
(@mjosie)
25/09/2020 10:11 am  

Hi all! A question I never seemed to have resolved is if Genesis 1 is talking about literal creation or not? Some people believe it is, others say it is not, but never really heard clear reasoning for either.

This topic was modified 1 month ago by MJosie

robinb19 liked
skyblue
(@skyblue)
Eminent Member
26/09/2020 10:59 am  

That’s one of the biggest debate of Christianity. Some say not literal because of scientific and archeological findings. But some strongly believe it’s supposed to be literal. My friend, however, once asked me that how does it make sense that God has to punish all mankind just because Adam and Eve ate a fruit. I don’t think it’s a question that has been resolved. I hope I can get a clear answer too

robinb19 and MJosie liked
ReplyQuote
robinb19
(@robinb19)
Eminent Member
30/09/2020 2:58 am  

That is such a deep question!!! I had never thought that the story of Creation could have a deep meaning, but it is definitely a possibility. I am so glad I found this forum and community believers to help expand my thoughts on God and the Bible. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Shinjitsunoken
(@shinjitsunoken)
06/10/2020 1:13 pm  

As a science major, Gen 1 honestly does not make any sense to me litteraly. It just does not match with archeology, biology, physics... and common sense (like how could there be light without the sun on the first day !). 
I haven't been able to understand it so far, to be honest. But I am open to see it figuratively. 
After all, there are so many other books in the Bible that are written in metaphoric or poetic language. 

robinb19 liked
ReplyQuote
colorslinesandspace
(@colorslinesandspace)
Eminent Member
12/10/2020 9:27 am  

The second sentence of the Bible says "the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters". I've always wondered about those waters...

ReplyQuote
robinb19
(@robinb19)
Eminent Member
13/10/2020 8:46 am  

@shinjitsunoken Hey there! thank you for sharing. I can relate! I was agnostic most of my life and was hesitant to become Christian because the Gen 1 does not match with science. However, I am glad I am not the only one that thought this and it makes sense that this could be figurative rather than literal. 

ReplyQuote
Share: