Notifications
Clear all

God in the OT vs God in the NT ?

Shinjitsunoken
(@shinjitsunoken)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone ! 
While growing up in church, I mostly heard about God's Love for us, and how He sent Jesus as a sacrifice because of that love (John 3:16 etc.). But when I started reading the Old Testament by myself, I couldn't help but be shocked at how gruesome some of God's commands were then (like, annihilating whole nations...). 
It seemed so contradictory with the image of a God of love that transpires in the NT. I know it is an issue that makes many believers stumble, so I was wondering how you guys deal with it. What do you usually answer when questioned ? 

robinb19 liked
colorslinesandspace
(@colorslinesandspace)
Trusted Member

That's a good question. I'd love to learn more about this as well.

ReplyQuote
JayQuan
(@jayquan)
Eminent Member

I was taught that God works in mysterious ways. Not sure if that is the correct answer, definitely not a satisfying one.

ReplyQuote
robinb19
(@robinb19)
Estimable Member

Thank you for asking!! I always wondered this too

ReplyQuote
v0ice0ftruth
(@v0ice0ftruth)
Eminent Member

I heard this as well, sometimes I wonder why God is so angry in the OT and why He is so loving in the NT.

ReplyQuote
nkc_7
(@nkc_7)

I think we need to continue to understand God's perspective and story of the Bible. Understanding His will from the OT and NT being connected to our salvation, it IS love. But just like how we may express love in different ways, situations, perhaps we can view those events as that? There must be a reason for everything.

ReplyQuote
laylaph
(@laylaph)
Eminent Member

Thank you for bringing up this question. I have question about this as well

ReplyQuote
Share:
Bible Study for All