Notifications
Clear all

Carrying out good deeds  

RSS

_purifymyheart
(@_purifymyheart)
Eminent Member
29/12/2020 9:29 am  

Some people say that good deeds are enough for a believer to get to heaven. However, there are many non-believers in the world who carry out good deeds, too. Does that mean they (the non-believers) will also be able to enter heaven?

MJosie liked
MJosie
(@mjosie)
Eminent Member
31/12/2020 10:49 pm  

I always struggled when I heard things like this because I had a lot of non-believer friends growing up but they are really nice people and have such a big heart to help others. So it didn't make very much sense to me that that's all that was needed. I came across the verse in Mt 7:21 where Jesus says those who do the will of God enter heaven. That really got me thinking that it's more than just good deeds.

ReplyQuote
robinb19
(@robinb19)
Estimable Member
01/01/2021 5:11 am  

I always wondered this too!!!

ReplyQuote
Shinjitsunoken
(@shinjitsunoken)
Eminent Member
09/01/2021 7:31 am  

In Mt 7:21, Jesus said that only those who do the Will of the Father can enter Heaven. However that does not mean that we "deserve" to go to Heaven in any way, we are still saved by faith only. 
The way I see it is that we are saved by faith, but this faith must bring change in our lives to be sincere, and this change can be seen in our actions. 
I don't know if that makes sense ?

ReplyQuote
_purifymyheart
(@_purifymyheart)
Eminent Member
10/01/2021 3:33 am  
Posted by: @mjosie

I always struggled when I heard things like this because I had a lot of non-believer friends growing up but they are really nice people and have such a big heart to help others. So it didn't make very much sense to me that that's all that was needed. I came across the verse in Mt 7:21 where Jesus says those who do the will of God enter heaven. That really got me thinking that it's more than just good deeds.

Ooh thank you! Will be reading more about this later. Yeah, I know some people like family and friends who say that we just need to “do what is good”. I guess it’s really important to read the Word so that we can know the will of God.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Bible Study for All